Thursday, January 17, 2013

It's not working

Katie has been absolutely not interested in potty training.  I'm not surprised as she has been this way with crawling, walking...pretty much anything that we try to encourage her to do.  She likes to do things on her own time in her own way.  In the past couple of days, she has been asking to go pee pee or poop on the potty.  AND she actually acknowledges that she has pooped...versus saying, "no poops!" even though we can smell her across the room.  I look at this as progress, although I am not pushing the subject until the summer.

Last night, she was adamant about pooping on the potty.  I took her to the bathroom and she asked me to help her get undressed (and then pushed me away and said, "I do it!").  Yep, miss independent.  After she was naked, she sat on the potty and sternly said "privacy!".  So, I closed the door and stood outside.  When I tried to check on her, she jumped up and shut the door.  Then I tried to check on her again...but she had locked the door.  Not just the push lock that you can open with a knife...an older version sticky twist lock...and she couldn't unlock it.  Lovely.

I spent about 30 minutes trying to explain to her how to turn the lock, but she partially wasn't really interested and once she tried and couldn't do it, she was stubborn and said, "can't do it!"  She partially occupied her time by unravelling a whole dental floss container, but otherwise was just sitting on the potty...waiting.

Kyle finally came home from work and had to take the door of the hinges.  Once the door came off, Katie stayed sitting on the potty and calmly said, "It's not working."  Ahhh, the joys of potty training. 

Working on the door...hard to get leverage.
Talking to Katie through the crack in the door. 
"It's not working..."


No comments: