Thursday, April 28, 2011

Silence isn't always a good thing...

About a month ago, we thought Andy was showing signs of wanting to be potty trained.  We got out Andy's potty, we ordered the Lightening McQueen underwear, we had a line-up of treats for when he actually succeeded at trying or going in the potty.  Andy enjoyed participating in our song and dance, loved his new toys, but at the end of the day - he would rather not hassle with the underwear and rather enjoyed watching me clean up his messes.  I have heard with boys - they will let you know when they are ready and not to force it.  So...back to the diapers we went.  In a way, it's easier for me.  I have control (sad, I know), and I already am changing Katie's diapers, so it's just adding a few more to my day.

Also, Andy now is napping about every third day.  I still put him down for a nap, but if he isn't feeling it, he plays with his toys and enjoys some "quiet time."  Andy is really good at entertaining himself and actually asks for nap time most days as he enjoys reading to himself and playing with his toys.  I have a monitor in his room since it's far away from the rest of the house and usually leave it on to make sure he isn't getting into too much trouble.  Some days, when he is tired of his toys, he likes to empty all of his folded clothes out of their drawers and make a big pile.  Other times he likes to strip his bed of all of the sheets.  But mostly, he plays make-believe with his animals, cars, and toys, or he reads his books...or he naps.

On Tuesday, Andy decided to take all of his clothes off, including his diaper.  No big deal - he did just get back from California where he enjoyed some naked time in the sunshine.  His sheets were freshly washed...and now were soaked with pee.  The carpet was marked all over.  Sigh...after laundry and carpet cleaner...we were back to new.  Just a one day thing, right?  Nope.

Yesterday we went for a jog around Greenlake, had soccer, and stayed after and played in the bouncy house for a good 45 minutes.  Guaranteed nap (usually).  Well Andy napped...and then silently got up, took off his clothes and diaper, and pooped.  His poop was little hard balls (sorry if TMI).  So, Andy decided to continue his day of soccer and play soccer with his poop.  His dresser was the goal.  I checked the monitor and saw that he was naked, so I went upstairs and checked on him.  So fun to find about twenty little poop balls under his dresser. Andy was thrilled with his success.  Fun times.  I guess I need to be a little more concerned when Andy is "quietly" playing in his room.

No comments: