Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tomorrow is the day...

This day has been hanging over my head every since we learned about Katie's dermoid cyst and knew we were going to have to get it removed.  Betsy came over yesterday to watch my kids while I was at an appointment, and Maggie asked what the the bump was on Katie's head.  I made the mistake of not using any filters.  Now Maggie is convinced that Katie has an alien in her head made up of multiple eyes and that Katie not only can see out of her own two eyes, but that she also can see out of her forehead as well.  Sorry Bets, and note to self, FILTER with a 5 1/2 year-old (and Maggie has the most creative and wonderful imagination, which didn't help in this situation).

So, I received a nonchalant call from Children's this morning to confirm the details of tomorrow's surgery.  I know it's not a major procedure, but it's major to me.  We check in, talk to the anesthesia team, ask questions, "if we want to we can watch them put our daughter to sleep", during surgery - "feel free to go grab a coffee and tour around the hospital and then we'll page you when Katie is ready to be seen".  Seriously?  Do they know they are talking to one major control freak?  As much as it's going to scare me to watch my 9 month old daughter be "put to sleep" I wouldn't be anywhere else.  Coffee and a leisurely walk while she is in surgery.  I will be watching the clock tick, minute to minute while she is under.  Kyle, on the other hand will probably know the history of how Children's was constructed and will have analyzed the structure of the building.  That's one of the things I love most about him, we are built and deal with things very differently.  Although, in this case, I think he will be sitting next to me watching the clock tick.

The surgery itself...well the way it has been described to me is that they are going to scoop her scull with an ice-cream scoop type tool.  So comforting.  But I do know that she is in the best hands.  Our doctor is amazing and the Children's staff is wonderful.  Please say prayers for our baby to have a successful and seamless surgery tomorrow, and prayers for mom and dad would be wonderful too.

No comments: