Thursday, March 17, 2011

Henry

Henry is our oldest child at 5 1/2 years old.  Kyle and I anticipated getting Henry almost as much as we did a child.  We always wanted a dog and did a lot of research on Springer Spaniels as they are one of the only dogs I am not extremely allergic to (yes, I take allergy medicine daily in order to have a dog).  I never ever thought I would be one of those families that spoils, loves and dotes over their puppy...until children come and the dog becomes the low man on the totem pole.  Well, we have arrived.  Officially, Henry is acting out because of the lack of attention he is getting.  I feel awful as I love our Henry.  He is such a good dog with our kids.  Andy tortures him by riding him, sitting on him, playing tackle-mania with him.  Andy pulls ears, his tongue, pokes at his eyes, yanks on his tail, picks his nose, hits him...and Henry just gives Andy kisses in return.  Every once in awhile, Henry will give a grumpy moan and escape to the room that is the furthest away from Andy.  But lately, instead of a mere moan...Henry has been very mischievous.  He is doing things that he never has done before.  First, he started peeing inside the house in the same spot, nearly every day.  Now our hallways smells like pee.  He also not only jumps on the counters to see if there is anything to eat, he jumps and also scoops his paw an amazing long distance.  He use to only be interested in food that would be appetizing to him, but when he was staying with Connie while we were out of town, he tore into the rice and flour and sprinkled it all over her basement.  Seriously?!?  I was able to capture his latest trick - opening the rice crispies box and bag and dragging it across the kitchen into our dining room.  I will be the first to admit that we need to give him more attention, but lately I feel like I have 3 babies at home instead of two!

In action
uh-oh, I got caught (doesn't he look guilty?!?)
Don't mind me, I am going to back to eating
His whole nose was covered, but I thought it was hilarious that he was so focused on the task at hand, he didn't even stop to lick his nose

No comments: