Life has its ups and downs and it's crazy how you can experience the ups and downs at the same time. We are scheduled to have our baby on June 16th, which is my grandpa's, Papa Campbell's, birthday. Papa passed away in March, so it's special to be able to welcome a little girl into the world on Papa's birthday. That in itself is a positive and interesting reflection on the circle of life.
Sadly, my other grandpa, GP, had a massive stroke on Friday night. As a result, he has lost his ability to move his right side and no longer can talk or swallow on his own. The neurologist and hospice care predict he'll only make it another week. I am so sad. Grandpa has been a really big part of my life and I feel so fortunate to have had the influences of both of my grandfathers for 30 years. GP is so much fun to be around - he still cracks me up. I grew up visiting him in the San Juans (Friday Island) and experiencing his love for boating and being active. More recently, we have enjoyed time with him down in Palm Desert, where he was golfing twice a week at the age of 90. GP has a hard time sitting still and is quite stubborn - which makes his stories and being around him so enjoyable. He has a signature move - when he is done with an evening and is ready to go home (often times in mid-conversation) - he slaps his hands on his legs and says, "well," gets up, and that's it, he's ready to go home. He and my Grandma Jane live in an assisted living place in Bellevue, but that hasn't stopped my grandpa from getting out and about. He bikes around town or goes for walks...and he even is the self-proclaimed parking police. Yep, he asked if he could get tickets and "police" people who were parking in their parking lot illegally. He even would shout with a mega-phone from his 8th floor window if people were obviously parking and then walking away from the building. In fact, he followed a family who parked in the lot and went shopping at a bridal store near-by. That's right...followed them into the store and confronted them about their "illegal" parking. Too funny!
Grandpa was an OB/GYN and was a great resource for the ups and downs that Kyle and I have experienced during our pregnancies. He and Grandma Jane have been so supportive and loving about our experiences. When I was told it was likely I would have a c-section with Andy, I asked him what I should expect. He told me I shouldn't be worried and that there are a lot of perks to having a c-section. First, I won't feel like my bladder is going to drop out of me at an older age; Second, I would have a better sex life; and Third, with my c-section incision, I always could have a tummy tuck...I mean "that's what all the celebrities are doing." At 90 years old, he sure made me feel better and humored me at the same time.
Grandpa also is very sensitive. He will tear up at most family gatherings and is a proud family man. I love him to pieces and hope he gets to meet our baby girl.
1 comment:
I'm so sorry Annie. Ironically, my grandpa always did the same thing when he was ready to leave... "Well..." and would get up and go! :) Hang in there. We're thinking about you guys.
Post a Comment