Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Tough Day

We had a tough day in July. On one rainy/stormy Friday, I decided we were going to have a pajama day and just take it easy at home. I was putting away laundry upstairs and when I came downstairs, I found coffee grinds everywhere. I had put an old Starbucks mail sample in the garbage that morning, so I assumed Henry had gotten into the garbage. But I threw it away in my office garbage, which is blocked by a gate. The grinds where everywhere (later that day Andy accidentally fessed up to running around the house emptying the bag).

 I went downstairs to find the gate collapsed and two kids with permanent markers drawing all over my computer, desk and carpet. I cleaned as much as I could and then went to vacuum up the coffee. Both kids were with me at that point. 5 minutes of vacuuming, I noticed Katie had been out of my site for a couple of minutes. I found her in our bathroom with pills all over our bathroom floor. She had climbed up on a chair, opened a deep drawer, and opened a child-locked prescription bottle. I asked her if she had eaten any and she said, "Yep." At that point, I still didn't know if she had (hard to trust the answer from a 2 year old), so I called Kyle, he called poison control, while he rushed home.

5 minutes later, Katie could not stand up, her eyes were half mast, and she was slurring her words. It was one of the scariest moments of my life. Luckily Kyle got home quickly, poison control checked us in at Children's and we were able to get to the hospital in record time. Katie drank some charcoal and they monitored her. After 2 hours, she was starting to be back to herself and after 4 hours they checked her urine sample and it came back clear. We were very fortunate and learned a scary and tough lesson. I was grilled by social services and as soon as we got home, we cleared our house of any medicines, cleaning supplies, etc. It was a really hard day as a mom and I am thankful that everything turned out okay.

3 comments:

The Johnsons said...

So glad everything turned out ok. So scary! I honestly don't think our kids could be more alike. . . . Taylor did the exact same thing a few weeks ago with Advil. So much for childproof bottles!

JTK said...

I have tears reading this. So scary but glad everyone is okay!

TwentyFiveFifty said...

Oh my goodness! Next time (ok scratch that I hope there is never a next time but...) scream out the back door and I'll come running over! I'm always just across the street :)