I received an e-mail from Babycenter entitled, "What Parents can learn from the Sandusky Case." It was a good reminder for me that it's important to talk to kids at an early age about how to keep lines of communication open. There are 7 tips and many comments in the article giving good insight. So I decided to have a conversation with Andy. We talked about communication and sharing and not having secrets and I felt good about how he was responding. Then we talked about good touching and bad touching and it went something like this:
Me: Andy, you know boys have a penis and girls have a vagina, right?
Andy: Yep, I have a penis and daddy has a penis and you have a vagina and Katie has a vagina.
Me: Yep. And you know that it's only okay for you to touch your own penis, unless mommy and daddy are helping you in the bathtub or shower or helping you go potty, right?
Andy: Mmm, Hmmm (at this point I am not sure if this conversation is sinking in at all).
Me: Just like it's only okay for Katie to touch her vagina unless mommy and daddy are helping her in the bathtub or shower or changing her diaper.
Andy: Mommmmm (giving a look like I am CRAZY), Katie doesn't touch her vagina...it's always full of poop!
And that was the end of our conversation. I guess Andy has witnessed me changing too many poopy diapers. Ahhhh, 3 year olds.
No comments:
Post a Comment