Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Coop

I haven't been in class with Katie much this past month.  My first day back was chaotic and fun.  I had Abi attached to me and Katie and our buddy Sylvie were busy bees.  At 2 1/2 they finally are wanting to play together sometimes instead of each being into their own activity.  I was able to quickly capture they at one of these "together" moments.
 
 
The next week of Coop, I dropped Katie off.  On my way home, I heard the news of the mass shooting in Newton.  I almost threw up.  My instinct was to turn the car around and scoop Katie up and then go get Andy from his preschool.  But I didn't.  I didn't want to let the terror and tragedy define me in that moment because in a way I feel like it's allowing the shooter to win - his actions impact my decisions.  So against my instinct, I drove home in tears and tried to process what really had happened.  My heart aches and my prayers are lifted for those families and the losses and pain they will be experiencing for the rest of their lives.  
 
I was so happy to pick the kids up.  I drove up and Katie had a HUGE smile on her face.  Sylvie's mom said they had a great morning full of joy.  I just stood there thankful and gave Katie a humongous hug.  And when Katie didn't want to get into the car because she wanted to play hide and seek...I took the time and just played, delighted in her laughter.
 
Such a great hiding space under the sign - huh?
 

No comments: